An overview of web resources that provide information about the connection between water and energy use.
The Water-Energy Nexus (River Network) - this web site describes efforts to illluminate the linkage between water and energy and carbon footprint. It contains many publications and links to calculators including the report, "The Carbon Footprint of Water" (May2009).
Energy-Water Nexus - a website by the Sandia National laboratories that is dedicated to providing information on the connection between energy use and water use.
- Energy Water Nexus - an article from the Water Energy Information Team of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
- Choke Point - a feature of the Circle of Blue waternews that depicts the connections between water and energy.
- A Blueprint for Action and Policy Agenda - a collaborative effort of the Alliance for Water Efficiency and the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy that addresses policy/codes, research, and programs (May2011).
- Exploring the Water-Energy Nexus - a workshop provided by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
- Special Report: Water vs. Energy - the June 2010 issue of the IEEE Spectrum focused on the impact of water on energy and energy on water.
- Watergy - an effort by the Alliance to Save Energy and USAID to promote water and energy efficiency in the developing world.
- Water, Energy and Climate Change - this report was prepared by the World Business Council for Sustainable Development.
- The Energy and Water in a Warming World (EW3) Initiative - this web site, hosted by the Union of Concerned Scientists describes the connection, collision, and potential solutions. It contains a link to the report, "Freshwater Use by U.S. Power Plants: Electricity's Thirst for a Precious Resource" (Nov2011).
- Water-Energy Toolkit: Understanding the Carbon Footprint of Your Water Use - the toolkit is described in a downloadable file and features eleven tools. These tools are designed to aid understanding the energy intensity of community water systems and the types of strategies that can be employed to save energy by saving water.
- WECalc - the WECalc tool estimates residential water use, water-related energy use, and associated greenhouse gas based on a series of questions about home water use habits.
- Water-Energy Nexus Presentation - a 12-minute narrated presentation from Dow.